A home alarm system is a huge investment, so choosing the right company can be a tough decision. There are many options to consider before making a decision. The best thing you can do is to purchase a system which has non-proprietary features and can be modified or repaired by generic parts.
When picking an alarm company, you should consider these things:
- Cost: Most alarm systems require monitoring payments every month. Make sure to select and set up a plan that is suitable for your budget.
- Contracts: Some alarm companies ask for multiyear contracts, while other ones allow you to pay month-to-month without a long-term commitment. Although contracts aren’t always bad as sometimes it helps you get deals on equipment or extra warranties, be sure that you know what you’re signing up for before you commit.
- Equipment: While some alarm companies have a huge selection of equipment, others only offer the bare bones. Decide what you want for your home and your family and make sure the system you select can offer what you really need whether it is an automatic door lock, a smoke alarm, or an outdoor camera.
- Mobile access: The best alarm systems make it easy for you to check on your system wherever you are. It helps you be able to see that your home is safe whether you are in your bed or in another country.
- Smart home support: A home alarm system is more useful and convenient if it can be synced with smart devices such as locks and lights. We suggest you choose a system that is compatible with a wide selection of third-party devices.
Here we suggest the top four home alarm companies on the market:
- Frontpoint – Best easy DIY installation
- ADT – Best industry reputation
- Vivint – Best home automation and equipment
- SimpliSafe – Most flexible contracts